- Pronounced "YAHT-soo-no-kah-mee." Yatsu-no-kami is a serpent god with a horn made of countless blades protruding from its forehead. These blades can be shot like arrows at the yokai'snn foes. Under the influence of the Dark Realm, its snakelike arms gain sentience and spring forth from its body to join the fight. Take heed when its white body turns black, for this is a sign that it is about to call forth the Dark Realm
- While it is now called a god, Yatsu-no-kami was originally a guardian deity to humans who were in pursuit of certain goals. It is said that many Yatsu-no-kami once thrived in the wetlands, until a man named Matachi of the Yahazu clan attempted to cultivate their land. The yokai stood in his way, and were driven from those lands as a result. Matachi planted a stake in the ground and declared it a border between the realm of the humans and the yokai. He then built a shrine so as to appease the yokai and avoid their wrath.
- The Yatsu-n-kami is worshipped at Shirahebi Shrine is a great white serpent, and its cast-off skin is kept as a sacred object in a cave at the heart of the shrine. While it was once a gentle deity that protected the mountains and swamps, Saito Yoshitatus's use of Spirit Stones transformed it into a raging being known as an aratama. It spews corruption from its body, creating poisonous swamps wherever its vile fluids land. Those who aim to defeat it must be prepared with measures to counter its noxious poison.
Yatsu-no-Kami Locations & Drops
- Found in Main Mission:
- Found in Online Mission: Calamity's Pulse
- Found in Side Mission: In Search of the Elixir (The First Samurai)
- Found in Twilight Mission: The Bewitching Tower
- Drops Yatsu-no-Kami Soul Core
- Drops Bladed Horn
- Drops Smithing Text: Shrine Maiden
- Drops Smithing Text: Rotten Rope Cutter has a chance to also drop in mission "point of no return"
- Drops Smithing Text: Shrine Maiden's Clothes
How to Beat Yatsu-no-Kami
Yatsu-no-Kami Boss Guide:
It's good to have a long reaching weapon for this fight, preferably one that has an overhead vertical attack of some kind so that you can strike the head and arms easily. Blocking is a very good option against this boss, as many of the attack don't use much ki to block, and are mainly slow single hitting attacks, so they don't carry much risk if you do get your guard broken. The only thing to watch out for is the grapple attack.
When the fight starts the snake will charge you immediately, step to the side and try to sever one arm with a vertical attack or two, and then the other arm if you can. It's hard to get both arms, but you can usually get one at least. Getting rid of just one of the arms litmits the amount of attacks they can use, and any you kill prevents them from spawning during the dark realm. As you encounter this boss later in the game, the arms gain more health, making it less worth it to go for both of them.
Next you want to try to bait his burst attacks so you can get some free hits, making sure to Block if he tail swipes and dodge if he grabs. There are few openings where you can attack safely and still have Ki to Block, so stay patient and look for the openings.
When you go to the Dark Realm you'll want to dodge him as much as you can, and avoid the small snakes if you didn't sever both arms. You don't need to focus on them and they rarely do anything noteworthy, so try to stick to the Boss and avoid getting killed. Yatsu-No-Kami doesn't gain any new attacks during this phase, so there isn't anything specific you need to worry about outside of the smaller snakes you didn't kill.
When you return to normal mode, it's business as usual, but he will summon new arms shortly afterwards. Again try to sever these when you get openings, but don't be too aggressive. Rinse and repeat, Blocking all attacks but the grab, and punishing the openings made by the burst attacks.
Attacking their head while it's glowing will stun them out of whatever attack they are doing and do a moderate amount of permanent ki damage.
Attacks & Counters
|Impaling Doom: They will charge at you blade first. If they touch a wall, they turn around and try to attack you again. This is a burst attack until Dream of the Demon.||Aside from burst countering on lower playthroughs, you can block this attack safely.|
|If you get too close to the boss, it will perform a 360 tail sweep on the ground.||Easily and safely block able.|
|Yatsu-no-Kami will slams its whole body on the ground. Burst attack until dream of the Demon||If you dodge this attack, you have a couple of seconds to attack.|
|Creates a line of paralyzing needles that shoots forward.||Dodge into the needles. Yatsu keeps their head low during this attack, providing easy access to the Amrita patch on it.|
|Grapple: Yatsu-no-kami raises their head and rushes forward. If they touch you, will will get stabbed for a large amount of damage, potentially immediately killing you.||Go into High Stance and roll horizontally. You cannot block this attack|
|Occasionally they will spit a large Poison terrain effect on to the ground||Levitation Scroll allows you to stand in it without issue. A resistance talismon and Anti-Toxin Pills will also completely negate the attack, as the terrain effect itself does no damage.|
|Dream of the Demon and above Universal attacks|
|Burst Needle Attack: Similar to the normal attack, except the needles follow a S pattern||Burst Counter this attack|
|An attack where Yatsu no kami creates a C Clamp with their tail and slams in front of them.||There is a dead zone right next to them where it will not hit you.|
|Attacks that use both arms. (Cutting one of the arms prevents these from being used|
|One of its main attacks is where it digs its arms in the ground and springs them out from the ground to grab you. There are two different timings, you can tell which one by how long the animation is before they plant their arms into the ground.||Just continuously walking in one direction will prevent you from getting hit. Just walk toward them in one direction and it leaves them open for a while.|
|Yatsu reaches forward with both arms and attempts to pull you toward them||This attack cannot be blocked. Dodge horizontally|
|The snake arms will separate and fight as two separate enemies that will spit poison at you||take out the smaller snakes and then focus on the main boss. These snake enemies do reappear after some time, but it gives you some time to focus on the main boss.|
Notes & Trivia
- Carrying Antidote is a good idea for this fight since you can become Poisoned easily. You can farm some from enemies outside this Boss fight. Breaking the small arms or killing the snakes will also always drop an antidote for you.
- Be sure to use a weapon that has an attack that can reach his head. Many weapons have High Stance attacks that can do this with ease.
- Memories - “I am grateful to you for ridding the world of my corrupt being. Now I will lend you the power of the very earth.”