- Pronounced "YAHT-soo-no-kah-mee." Yatsu-no-kami is a serpent god with a horn made of countless blades protruding from its forehead. These blades can be shot like arrows at the yokai'snn foes. Under the influence of the Dark Realm, its snakelike arms gain sentience and spring forth from its body to join the fight. Take heed when its white body turns black, for this is a sign that it is about to call forth the Dark Realm
- While it is now called a god, Yatsu-no-kami was originally a guardian deity to humans who were in pursuit of certain goals. It is said that many Yatsu-no-kami once thrived in the wetlands, until a man named Matachi of the Yahazu clan attempted to cultivate their land. The yokai stood in his way, and were driven from those lands as a result. Matachi planted a stake in the ground and declared it a border between the realm of the humans and the yokai. He then built a shrine so as to appease the yokai and avoid their wrath.
- The Yatsu-n-kami is worshipped at Shirahebi Shrine is a great white serpent, and its cast-off skin is kept as a sacred object in a cave at the heart of the shrine. While it was once a gentle deity that protected the mountains and swamps, Saito Yoshitatus's use of Spirit Stones transformed it into a raging being known as an aratama. It spews corruption from its body, creating poisonous swamps wherever its vile fluids land. Those who aim to defeat it must be prepared with measures to counter its noxious poison.
Yatsu-no-Kami Locations & Drops
- Found in Main Mission:
- Drops Yatsu-no-Kami Soul Core
- Drops Bladed Horn
- Drops Smithing Text: Shrine Maiden
- Drops Smithing Text: Rotten Rope Cutter has a chance to also drop in mission "point of no return"
- Drops Smithing Text: Shrine Maiden's Clothes
How to Beat Yatsu-no-Kami
Yatsu-no-Kami Boss Guide:
It's good to have a long reaching weapon for this fight, preferably one that has an overhead vertical attack of some kind so that you can strike the head and arms easily.
When the fight starts the snake will charge you immediately, step to the side and try to sever one arm with a vertical attack or two, and then the other arm if you can. It's hard to get both arms, but you can usually get one at least. Then be prepared to Block any attacks he may do and dodge if he tries to grab you.
Next you want to try to bait his orange attacks so you can get some free hits, making sure to Block if he tail swipes and dodge if he grabs. There are few openings where you can attack safely and still have Ki to Block, so stay patient and look for the openings.
When you go to the Dark Realm you'll want to dodge him as much as you can, and avoid the small snakes if you didn't sever both arms. You don't need to focus on them and they rarely do anything noteworthy, so try to stick to the Boss and avoid getting killed.
While it's generally a good idea to play defensively in this phase, and you should, you can still get some opportunities to attack now and then if you pay attention. Punish his mistakes, and get in shots when he does his orange attacks in this phase if you can.
When you return to normal mode, it's business as usual, but he will summon new arms shortly afterwards. Again try to sever these when you get openings, but don't be too aggressive. Rinse and repeat, Blocking all attacks but the grab, and punishing the openings made by the orange attacks.
Attacks & Counters
|When the fight starts the snake will charge you immediately.||Sep to the side and try to sever one arm with a vertical attack or two, and then the other arm if you can.
Be prepared to Block any attacks he may do and dodge if he tries to grab you.
|If you get too close to the boss, it will perform a 360 tail sweep on the ground.||
Try to stay away when that happens
|One of its main attacks is where it digs its arms in the ground and springs them out from the ground to grab you.||This attack leaves the boss slightly vulnerable to your attacks if you successfully dodge the arms and quickly go in for a few strikes.|
|Yatsu-no-Kami will slams its whole body on the ground.||If you dodge this attack, you have a couple of seconds to attack|
|The snake arms will separate and fight as two separate enemies that will spit poison at you||take out the smaller snakes and then focus on the main boss. These snake enemies do reappear after some time, but it gives you some time to focus on the main boss.|
Notes & Trivia
- Carrying Antidote is a good idea for this fight since you can become Poisoned easily. You can farm some from enemies outside this Boss fight.
- Be sure to use a weapon that has an attack that can reach his head. Many weapons have High Stance attacks that can do this with ease.