Lady Osakabe is a yokai that has possessed an entire castle, lending the building her life force. Records of this yokai exist in a collection of ghost stories published in the Edo Period. In this anthology, the yokai possessed Himeji Castle, causing all sorts of strange incidents before finally making the castle owner ill. When a monk was summoned to exorcize the yokai, it materialised in front of him in the form of a mysterious woman, ordering him to leave. Angered by the monk's refusal, the yokai transformed into a giant monstrosity and killed him.
There are four theories regarding Lady Osakabe's true identity: that it was a mountain god, a snake god, an extremely aged fox, or the spirit of a noble who died filled with great regret. The last of these can be explained as follows: when Himeji Castle was being constructed, a shrine dedicated to Osabe Shinno had to be moved elsewhere. Shinno was a member of the Nara-period royal family who died suddenly at 14 when he was forced into the life of a commoner for political reasons. His death was followed by a series of natural disasters, causing others to believe that he had cursed those who wronged him. Thus, the yokai that materialized in Himeji Castle was believed to be the direct result of the moving of Shinno's shrine, an act signaling disrespect.
Lady Osakabe attacks her enemies using hair-like tentacles that contain amrita at their core. The tips of these tentacles have organs reminiscent of mouths and eyes that are capable of unleashing all manner of elemental attacks. While the eyes on these tentacles can emit dangerous flashes capable of cursing an enemy, they are also Lady Osakabe's weak point and present an oppurtunity to strike.
Lady Osakabe Locations & Drops
- Found in Main Mission:
- Drops Lady Osakabe Soul Core
- Arrowsbane Helmet
- Double-headed Snake Tonfa
- Iga Jonin Greaves
- Swallowtail Greaves
- Veteran's Waistguard
- Ninja's Tonfa
- Smithing Text: White Lotus Fists in "The Golden Castle"
- Smithing Text: Seventh Sword Tonfa in "The Golden Castle"
- Smithing Text: Iceberg in "The Golden Castle"
- Smithing Text: Lion Lord & Bone Eater in The Golden Castle
- Smithing Text: Red Demon Spear in "The Golden Castle"
- Smithing Text: Red Demon Armor in "The Golden Castle"
- Smithing Text: Legendary Strategist's Garb in "The Golden Castle"
- Smithing Text: Raikiri in "The Golden Castle"
- Smithing Text: Echoing Thunder in "The Golden Castle"
How to Beat Lady Osakabe
Lady Osakabe Boss Guide:
To defeat Lady Osakabe you need to defeat her limbs to stagger her, and then attack her main head to deal damage. After 10-15% of the damage the limbs will regenerate and you will need to beat them again.
As soon as the fight starts, run to one of her limbs and start attacking it. When a limb runs out of Ki it will drop to the roof where you can easily attack it. All the limbs will attack you while you are doing this, so try to keep moving to avoid the elemental balls. The limbs will occasionally perform a burst attack. This attack can be easily countered providing a great opportunity to defeat the limb. Once a limb is defeated, run the next one and repeat.
During the fight her main head will hover over the battlefield casting random attacks. It's hard to keep track of her, so staying on the limbs is the most advisable strategy.
Once you defeat four of her limbs she will become staggered and her main head will fall to the roof. Run to the main head and deal as much damage as you can. After a short while she will recover and you will need to repeat the whole process.
When she runs out of health, run to her main eye (Located at the Castle), and perform a finishing blow to finish the fight.
The majority of her attacks are elemental and/or projectiles, so using Daion-Jin's Sake and stacking Elemental Damage, Projectile Damage and Blocked Elemental Damage reduction significantly lowers the risk the majority of her attacks pose.
Attacks & Counters
NG: Her limbs can perform a burst attack ramming into the player
WOTD: Her limbs do a spinning attack similar to Tentacle Storm
NG: You can easily counter this attack.
WOTD: Becomes much harder to time with a Brute burst counter, otherwise same.
|Elemental Balls: Her limbs will periodically cast elemental balls aimed towards the player.||Try to keep moving to avoid the balls. You can also use your guard to prevent part of the damage.|
Notes & Trivia
- Her weak points are the red eyes. The eyes become vulnerable when the tentacles run out of Ki. Focus on them when the tentacles drop after their Ki meters are depleted. The Yokai Core, Yatsu-no-Kami works extremely well to deal damage, as long as the player can line up the shot efficiently.
- Memories - “I wonder if my master dreams of me now…I envy all those who are with him now…All I wanted was to be close to him…”