Shibata Katsuie is chief retainer of the Oda clan, and has served the Oda ever since Nobunaga's father was head of the clan. During his service to Nobunaga's younger brother, Noboyuki, Katsuie stood against Nobunaga as his enemy. Nobunaga later forgave Katsuie and appointed him as chief retainer, a most influential position.
Katsuie is very fond of Maeda Toshiie, in whom he sees his own values of valor and loyalty. On the other hand, he instinctively dislikes Tokichiro, who uses the power of yokai and the Spirit Stones to achieve his ends. While it is difficult for Katsuie to watch Tokichiro earn Nobunaga's praise, he comes to feel differently about the protagonist upon watching the way they hold their own in battle.
With the events that transpire in Honnoji, Tokichiro's ambitions are laid bare, and Katsuie marries Oichi, Nobunaga's younger sister. In the conflict that ensues between Katsuie and Tokichiro, Katsuie finds himself surrounded by the enemy in Kitanosho Castle. Backed into a corner with no alternative in sight, Katsuie uses the Spirit Stones to protect Oichi, transforming into a yokai. Unable to tell friend from foe, Katsuie attacks the protagonist who has come to help him, and is fatally wounded in combat. On the verge of death, he entrusts the protagonist with what is most important to him and apologizes to Oichi before breathing his last.
Upon meeting the protagonist again in the Interim, Katsuie thanks them for stopping him when he was a yokai. The protagonist assists him in eliminating his own lingering spirit and those of his soldiers from the world of the living, allowing Katsuie to finally rest in peace.
Shibata Katsuie Locations & Drops
- Found in Mission:
- Chance to drop the special Hatchet Skill: Deadly Spiral
- In The Shiftling's Wise Judgement and Ruin Draws Near
How to Beat Shibata Katsuie
Shibata Katsuie Boss Guide:
Shibata Katsuie can be found in a small square battlefield. Most of the fight he will be rushing at you from wall to wall.
Try to stay in the middle of the room and avoid his charge attacks. He will usually recover after finishing one of his moves so use the opportunity to strike back.
Using Firestop Talismans and Fire Resistance equipment can be a good idea to increase your durability.
While in the Dark Realm all his attacks will be imbued with fire. He will also gain a new charge using his weapons to move around the battlefield and leaving a trail of fire behind. You can use ki-damaging weapons (f.e.: fists or tonfas) and exploit his low ki by spamming ki-damaging active skills (Battering Ram for the fists, for example) to get him out of the Dark Realm. Usually 2-3 Battering Rams are enough to reduce his ki to 0, where you can switch to a faster, DPS-oriented weapon and wail on him as much as you'd like to. If you manage to land enough hits with any active skill or a Yokai skill (f.e. the Namahage soul core ability), you can stagger him and he will be open for a counter when he returns to the normal world. This method basically nullifies his Dark Realm phases, as if you manage to reduce his max ki even by 20% (on NG, that is), it will be more than enough to use the Battering Ram on him 2x, or later, even just once, to get his ki down to 0.
When Shibata Katsuie uses one of his charge attacks (either the normal charge, or the grab) dodge TOWARDS him, so you roll through the boss and end up behind him. It will stop his charge, so he won't run back and forth in the room, and you get the chance to atack him from behind. It makes the fight much easier than dodging him left and right until he decides to stop.
Attacking his horns during one of his non-grab charge moves deals a large amount of permanent Ki damage. Doing it twice stops his charge attacks.
Blocking either charge attack does not take much Ki. If you have a move that attacks quickly out of block, like Sword of Discernment, this is a safe way to attack his horns.
Attacks & Counters
|Fire Boar: He will summon a Fire Boar that runs forward leaving a trail of fire||Dodge either left or right and attack him until he recovers.|
|Burst Combo: He will perform a powerful combo with his axes while moving forward||You can burst counter this attack.|
|Whirlwind Attack: He will move forward while spinning his axes around him.||Run away from him in the opposite direction and wait for the attack to finish.|
|Rush Forward: He will rush to your location trying to stomp you. If he gets close enough, he will attack from below with his weapons||Try to stay in the center of the room and dodge toward him (through him).|
|Weapon Rush: He will rush to your location using his axes and leaving a trail of fire behind||Try to stay in the center of the room and dodge toward him (through him).|
Notes & Trivia
• This boss is extremely weak to poison, water and purity.
• Only try to block his charges if you are using heavy armor sets, if you are using light armor sets then dodge will be the way to go.
• Do not be greedy and impatience, the boss has extremely large health pool. But he is weak to poison, so your safest strategy will be just poison him to death or exhaust his ki while running around the arena.
• Using a fast attack weapon is ideal since the player’s main objective is to apply poison, saturated or purity effects and his exhausted time after his charges is short . If you are using a heavy weapon then now is the time to use a different weapon or at least consider using low stance.
• Only try to attack, buff or heal when he has used all of his charge attacks (three times). After that you will have at most three seconds to do everything you want with him. But do not be greedy, a lot of players have fallen because of that mistake.
• Tonfa is extremely effective against this boss. Especially if you can have purity (impure, buff) on it then you don’t even need to active skill, just quick attacks are enough to destroy all of his Ki. Another solid option will be hatchets with impure purity, at this point of the game, you will likely encounter them a lot of times, its fast attacks and ability to keep you at a safe distance with throwing hatchets strong attacks will be extremely valuable in the hands of any players.
• All of his attacks hit like a truck but are extremely well telegraphed. Using sloth talismans and rejuvenation talismans are much more helpful than using Firestop talismans. The main reasons are the Firestop talismans maybe only ever be useful in the boss’s dark realm and even then you will likely still die because of his powerful charges or attacks in heavy armor or be staggered to death in light armor. Sloth talismans are useful in both phases of the boss fight as they can be used to slow all of the boss movements allow you some breathing spaces to attacks, reposition or heal the player health. The rejuvenation talismans will save you from being killed in his continuous charges and in dark phases can even save your life thanks to its healing overtimes will ease the fire damage of the boss.
- Kanji: Yomikata - Lore description.