Ongyoki is an Enemy in Nioh 2. One of the four demons controlled by Fujiwara no Chikata. Ongyoki is a ghostly Yokai that attacks with Corrupting Flames of his staff.
- Ongyoki is one of the four demons said to have been employed by Fujiwara no Chikata. In the Taiheki, Fujiwara no Chikata is described as a very powerful noble of the Heian period, who controlled the region surrounding the border of Iga and Ise. He is said to have possessed power beyond human understanding , and was able to enlist the service of four demons when launching a rebellioin against the imperial court. Ongyoki thoroughly tormented the emperor's troops with its ability to become invisible, which allowed it to attack the enemy by surprise. According to the poem by Kinotomo, who was dispatched to subjugate the rebels, the four demons were eventually forced to retreat, and Fuiwara no Chikata met his end on the battlefield.
- The four demons, with their spectacular supernatural powers, are said to be the precursors of the ninja we know today. As the legends suggest, Ongyoki can be a difficult opponent to fight due to its ability to become invisible. However, it is possible for a Shiftling to use their keen sense of perception to detect an Ongyoki’s presence. Be wary of your surroundings and trust your instincts to tell you when something seems amiss.
Ongyoki Locations & Drops
- Found in Main Mission: A Distant Dream
- Replaces Koroka in The Hollow Fortress in Dream of the Nioh
- Drops Ongyoki Soul Core
- Drops Invisible Cloth
- This enemy is based on the Koroka, with several key differences:
- Instead of using fire it uses corruption, and thus is much less resistant to fire.
- It cannot be staggered with the majority of attacks.
- It has a lager array of melee attacks with it's staff.
- Overall, this makes him much more dangerous to fight by comparison, as you can't run your offense almost completely unopposed.
- It has glowing horns on it's head, allowing you to identify it when it hides as a dead body. In addition, while in combat if you break the horn, it will stagger him and deal a large amount of permanent Ki damage.
- It's most dangerous unique attack is Ongyoki creating 4 clones of itself while leaving a corruption terrain effect, telegraphed by him spinning his staff in front of him. While the clones have minimal health, if you take too long fighting his clones, he can go invisible, only leaving a purple outline and preventing you from locking on to him. Using attacks with large Area of Effect, like Severing Spin, Exorcist Blade, Whirlwind, yokai abilities like Mountain Sweeper or several Guardian Spirit Skills will wipe every clone, and using a Levitation Scroll will allow you to avoid taking damage from the lingering terrain effect if you choose a melee based solution.
- He has two burst attacks:
- A quick stab with the staff, followed by a multitude of stabs, finished by a final, high damage stab. The first stab is very fast, but is safe to block, and there is a large delay between the first stab and the rest of the attack. Just block the first hit and burst counter the second section.
- Ongyoki spinning the staff, creating a long range beam of corruption that hits multiple times. This isn't safe to block, and the timing for countering with Feral or Phantom isn't intuitive, but the attack has limited range, no tracking after the beam comes out, and if you have a Cannon equipped, readying it will allow you to go under the attack. If you have the Hand Cannon Speed Up effect, you can fire two shots if you react quickly, including one on the horns.
- Blocking melee is mostly fine, unless you get Corrupted of course. Since you cannot stagger him out of his attacks, blocking is the only way to dis-spell the homing flames from Where There's Smoke, outside of a quick reaction with a Cannon, breaking his horns, or using certain yokai skills.
- In the Dark realm, he gains longer melee attack strings and summons more flames with the homing ranged attack.
Notes & Trivia
- Kanji: Yomikata - Lore description.
- Memories - “To lie concealed and then strike the imperial forces from behind…That wretch Chikata deserves respect for his deviousness if nothing else.”
Aberrant Soldier ♦ Ancient Nyotengu ♦ Bakegani ♦ Biwa Boku-boku ♦ Dweller ♦ Enenra ♦ Enki ♦ Flying Bolt ♦ Fox Spirit ♦ Fuki ♦ Gaki ♦ Giant Toad ♦ Gozuki ♦ Harinobo ♦ Hellish Hag ♦ Ippon-Datara ♦ Itsumade ♦ Kappa ♦ Karakasa Umbrella ♦ Karasu Tengu ♦ Kinki ♦ Kiryoki ♦ Konaki-Jiji ♦ Koroka ♦ Lesser Umi-bozu ♦ Lightning Gods of Yomi ♦ Magatsu Warrior ♦ Mitsume Yazura ♦ Mujina ♦ Namahage ♦ Nightmare Bringer ♦ Nuppeppo ♦ Nure-Onna ♦ Nurikabe ♦ Oboroguruma ♦ One-eyed Imp ♦ One-Eyed Oni ♦ Oni-bi ♦ Onyudo ♦ Red Kappa ♦ Rokurobi ♦ Rokurokubi ♦ Snowclops ♦ Spider ♦ Suiki ♦ Tatarimokke ♦ Tesso ♦ Toxic Slime ♦ Ubume ♦ Underworld Soldier ♦ Waira ♦ Warrior Skeleton ♦ Wheelmonk ♦ Yamanba ♦ Yasha ♦ Yoki
Join the page discussion Tired of anon posting? Register!
Changing my jutsus around specifically for this thing's annoying clones in case I run into him.
Good lord. Did this fellow really need 234,494,228,990 HP?
Of all the things to hate in this game. This guy is right up there with lightning gods for me. Nothing in the game has killed me more often than the curse of the damned variants of this vike abomination
Where is a good place to farm (or even just find) this Soul Core in Dream of Samurai or Dream of Strong?